To keep costs low, and therefore keep our prices low, we do our website design and maintenance ourselves. But we are fiber artists, not computer geniuses, so sometimes we make mistakes. Its a big website, though, and we don’t always realize we’ve made mistakes. So if you find one, won’t you please let us know?
If you have questions about our products, purchasing options, shipping or The Unique Sheep in general, contact Laura at Laura@theuniquesheep.com or Kelly at Kelly@theuniquesheep.com. If you’d rather speak to someone on the phone, Kelly can be reached at 336-362-0901.
How to Order from our Website
- Browse our many different colorways using the “COLORS” button at the top. If you are searching for a specific colorway and know its name, it is easiest to use the search bar to the right. Once you have settled on a color, select your base yarn from the YARN page and place your order.
- REMEMBER: colorways turn out differently depending on the base yarn. As a general rule, 100% Superwash Merino takes color the brightest and boldest. Any time another fiber (tencel, bamboo or silk) is mixed with SW Merino it will decrease the boldness of the colorway. Non-superwash wools (such as our Green Sheep Collection) take colorways in a much softer, more blended manner. We try to post as many pictures on our website as possible so that you can see each colorway on several different base yarns to get an idea for how it varies. It might also be helpful to search our photo collection on Flickr. Use the search box in the top right to find photos of the color(s) you are interested in on many different base yarns. If you can’t find a photo of the base yarn you are interested in in the correct colorway, feel free to email us with questions about how it will look.
- Though we strive for consistency, handpainted yarns are works of art that vary from batch to batch. Therefore, its crucial that you order enough for your project. If you run out part of the way through a project it will be very difficult to dye up yarn that will match enough to complete your project.
- When shopping from the website, keep in mind that colors show up differently on different monitors and some colors are difficult to photograph accurately. This is one of the reasons that we recommend buying Unique Sheep yarn from your LYS whenever possible. And if your LYS doesn’t carry The Unique Sheep please encourage them to contact us- we are always looking for new wholesale partners!
- All yarn ordered off the website is dyed to order. This means that, depending on the size of your order and our current work load, it can take up to three weeks for us to dye your order and have it ready for shipping. If you need your order more quickly we recommend that you buy it from one of our LYS or online partners or, if thats not possible, let us know in an email the reason for your urgency. Whenever possible we’ll try to get your order done as quickly as we can!
How to knit/crochet with Hand Painted Yarns
- Even in the same batch skeins can vary slightly, so if you are knitting an item that takes multiple skeins you may want to gradually move from one skein to the next by knitting a few rows of skein 1, then a few rows of skein 2, then a few more of skein 1, and so forth
- When working with Gradiance colorways for the first time, its best to review our Gradiance Tips or use one of our free Gradiance Sock Patterns.